25 Questions to Ask When Touring a Senior Living Community
Today’s senior living communities offer beautifully-designed apartments with spacious floor plans, resort-style accommodations, and a number of social activities.
But how do you find the perfect fit for you or a loved one?
Touring senior living communities for the first time can be overwhelming. When you know what to look for, and the right questions to ask, it can help you stay focused and make the process easier.
Here are some questions to ask yourself, or a community representative, while touring a senior living community:
- Did the staff welcome you upon entering the community?
- Are the staff members happy and friendly?
- Does the staff interact with residents and know them by name?
- Does the community require background checks for employees?
Tip: Feel free to ask a staff if they enjoy working at the community. Or, ask to join for a meal.
- What amenities are available at the community?
- Does the community provide scheduled and/or personal transportation?
- Does the community allow pets?
- What types of events are scheduled for residents; how frequently are events and activities offered?
- Is there a salon/barber shop?
- Is there a fitness area and does the community provide fitness or wellness classes?
- Does the community provide housekeeping services?
Tip: Talk to the current residents who live at the community and participate in an activity or event.
- Do dining menus vary from day-to-day, seasonally or for the holidays?
- Are there set meal times?
- What happens if a resident can’t make it to a meal?
- Can residents request special foods for dietary needs?
- Can residents request to have their meal in their apartment?
Tip: Enjoy a meal at the community to sample the cuisine.
Building and Maintenance
- Does the community look and feel fresh and clean?
- Is the community located in a safe neighborhood?
- Are there common spaces/outdoor spaces that are good for socializing?
- It the community odor-free?
- Are the community and apartment floor plans easy to navigate?
- Is the community equipped with fire sprinklers, smoke detectors and clearly marked exits?
Tip: Request to view all common areas and amenities during your tour.
- What is the pricing for levels of care and is care provided by community staff or a third-party home care agency?
- What utilities are included in the rent?
- Does the community accept long-term care insurance?
Tip: Download our easy to use cost comparison sheet. This will help you navigate the cost comparison between living at home and living in a senior living community.
Contact us here to learn more about American House.
Let’s find your community
Maintaining a home and your health can become a challenge as you age. American House provides the care, amenities and services that make life easier. Find out how American House can help you live life to its fullest.